Yesterday I mentioned that I was working on a new idea - well here it is - Viking ships. I have been trying on and off for a few years to blow my own glass shards. It's not a difficult process in theory, but in practise it is quite tricky. Well, I think I finally figured it out, and when I was playing around with the resulting shards, I realized that they looked like very rustic sails. At first I thought of a Chinese Junk - but the name just wasn't working for me - lol. Then I remembered the books I have been reading lately - The Ranger's Apprentice. The books are meant for older children/teens, but I have been really enjoying them (thankyou Lori Anderson). Anyway, there are some Viking-like people and their ships in the books, so that is where the idea for Viking ships came from. Talk about a short story made long!
These are big beads - the bead in the middle picture is about 40mm long and 28mm wide. They have dichroic glass (sparkly stuff) inside along with seeded glass (bubbly stuff) and various other bits and pieces. Each one takes about an hour to make, but I figure that will get shorter with each session. I have to work on the hull of the boat some more, but for now I am really pleased with the first draft.
Thanks for looking, and hope you all have a great weekend!