Tuesday, August 20, 2013

LOTS of New Beads!


However they are not for my shop - sorry.  They are for the upcoming show on the Labour Day weekend at Kitty Coleman Gardens in Comox.


I just love the look of the big holed beads/hoops.  The mandrels for
these guys are really heavy and my arms were aching after making them.
I also made the cord to hang them from, so there is no metal at all in
this design - perfect for those people who have metal allergies.


As I said in a previous post, I have been working on a new way to make
my tree beads - and I am REALLY pleased with this lot.  I have decided
to keep the top left hand side one for myself (black and ivory) - I think it has a very
oriental look about it.  I very rarely keep any of my own work; I'm not sure why.
This lot of beads turned out better than I hoped.  They were an
experiment.  The one on the left I made with light ivory and Double
Helix murrine,  the middle bead I used hair fine stringer and dots with Double
Helix Terra for the colour.  The bead on the right is similar to the
left one, but has been pressed flat and I have added some gold leaf.
I am calling this general style of beads "Orient Express".

I have been trying to figure out a way to display my pendants that I put on
my hand made cords.  I didn't want to just hang them, and putting them in a
box just looked messy.  So, thanks to Pinterest (got to love that place)
I have come up with a way to package them.  I write the length of the cord
on the price tag, so people will know how long the necklace is.  My only concern
is that some customers are going to want to try them on.  However the pendants
 are "sewn" onto the cardboard backing, and I do not want to have to undo the tape,
pull them out of the cello package, cut the thread, etc.
 I will have to see how it goes at the show, and see if it is a viable way to display them.

Well, I hope you enjoyed your little tour around my new show beads.  My booth partner and I have made some changes to our display - I will try to remember to take photos at the show.
Have a good week!

No comments: