Monday, February 25, 2013

Felted purses

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have started doing a bit of wet felting in my spare time (what spare time???).   Anyway, I am really enjoying it - except for the part when I wake up next day and can hardly move because my back is so sore.  All the rolling of the pieces to get them to felt is taking it's toll on my already fragile back.  I think I will have to break it up into stages and not try to finish a piece in one day.  Maybe I should do 2 days torching, and 1 day felting, and only do a couple of hours felting at one time?

Here are a couple of pictures of the purses that passed muster.  Still too thin in some areas and thick in other spots, and lots to learn yet.  I have yet to put in a lining, add a strap and a button closure.  I think one of my lampwork buttons made to match will be just the ticket.

A grouping of simple sack style, wet felted purses before the lining, strap
and closure have been added.


This is my favourite so far - the decoration is made by adding silk "hankies"
to the base - I think it looks like sweet peas, especially with the addition of
the tendrils.

Kind of silly to make it on a white base (it will get dirty so quickly), but the colour of the decoration changes so much with the colour of the base.  I think next time I will try making the purse in a darker colour and then add a square of light coloured "pre-felt" to the face and then add the floral motif on top of that.  It's all a learning process, but that is half the fun.

Back to the torch tomorrow!

3 comments:

Cilla said...

Just stunning!

Hot Rocks said...

I love these, Jane! The bright colors on the white is gorgeous. I can't wait to see more of these felted bags.

Heather Woollove said...

I love the multi-colored purse with the 'tendrils', Jane!
...and how wonderful to have the ability to make 'perfect' buttons for all of your future bags!! :)
XO-