Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Bead Packaging

Front side of hand made envelopes.


Back side of hand made envelopes.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I purchased a HUGE pad of scrapbooking paper.  At the time, I was making collectible mohair teddy bears, and I wanted to make my own hang tags to go with the cute little dresses that I made for the bears.  

Moving on to the present day, (well, about a year ago) I re-discovered this large pad of paper.  I had been wanting to upgrade my packaging for online bead sales, and boxes don't fit between the 2 cm slot allowed by Canada Post for the Light Small Packet.  So I decided to start making my own packaging envelopes from all these wonderful, and many varied sheets of paper.  I have figured out a couple of templates and I draw them onto the back side of the sheet of paper, cut it out, score the fold lines, and glue it together.

After I make a sale, I wrap the bead or beads in re-cycled bubble wrap.  I have yet to purchase bubble wrap, as I save every piece and re-use it.  I then tape the bubble wrapped package to one of my business cards, and pop it into the hand made envelope - that way if there is more than one bubble wrapped package inside, they won't shift around and end up on top of each other.   When I have a package of several sets of beads, I use several old business cards and tape them all together.   Sometimes I punch out holes in the top of the hand made envelope and tie it closed with a piece of curling ribbon, and other times I use a sticker to close it up.  Then I put on a small address lable and a fancy sticker.  This package then goes into a craft envelope, which gets it's own larger address lable and another fancy sticker - viola!  it's ready to go. 

I always like to receive nicely wrapped packages, and I figured if Canada Post wouldn't let me send boxes, (without charging an arm and a leg), then I would have to find a way around them.  I hope my customers like the little packages they receive.  Although I am sure some of them curse me because of all the tape I use to secure the parcel - lol.

How do you package up your beads for mailing?  Or if you are a bead buyer - what is your favourite type of packaging?

2 comments:

Beadcomber said...

Oh Jane! what a fabulous idea! I too have a pad of those papers. I need to figure out a way to cut them, but there is a place online that has templates with cool little shapes (if only I remembered where). Currently I reuse mailing foam and bubble wrap like you and tape it onto one of my business postcards with a thank you note which then fits into a regular envelope, but I like the idea to gift wrap some things. Thanks for sharing.

Hot Rocks said...

I love those! I am always looking for pretty ways to package up my items, especially at shows. You should make and sell those, I would buy some from you!